Random Notes for the Week
- I have gluten-free sandwich bread baking in the oven. My fingers are crossed. I tell ya, five and a half years of being gluten-free, me baking and cooking daily (or very, very nearly so) from scratch, and I have yet to find a recipe which I can make successfully (and repeatedly so), which I like the taste and texture of (especially past the first day), and which has a modicum, at least, of whole-grain healthiness to it. Ginger Lemon Girl posted a very hopeful-looking recipe earlier this week, and left me a comment which led me to it. I’ve made the recipe (with a couple modifications, to make it dairy-free), and now am very anxious to see the results.
- My dear baby girl has strep throat. Since Tuesday, when she developed a fever, I’ve been on edge. A few times her temp shot up in the high-103* range, which saw me dosing her with both infant Tylenol and children’s Advil, plus soaking her in a tepid tub as long as I could get her to stay in, sometimes in the middle of the night. ~sigh~ It took nearly 24 hours for the antibiotics to kick in and start working; I was getting worried. But, she’s finally fever-free now. She’s still sleeping a LOT, though, and is sort of… fragile, speaking in a teensy voice, and very emotional. And I’m really tired.
- I still don’t know if I’m having a boy or girl. I’m a little confused about my new OBGYN’s s.o.p. I thought I was supposed to call in to schedule the u/s, but when I called the doctor’s office, the lady with whom I spoke said, “Oh, so-and-so was supposed to schedule that. I’ll check with her and get back with you.” That was Tuesday. It’s Friday, with nary a word from either. I guess I’ll call them again on Monday. I must say that if I didn’t already know that I like this particular doctor (he used to be in practice with my “old” OB, who retired, and is actually the doc who delivered Audrey), his office staff would not inspire any confidence; I’d seriously be looking for a different doctor. Oh, well.
- We’re still schooling, until June 14. All the schools in the area are done for the summer, and our doorbell is ringing incessantly. I need to make a sign. This time of year, I’m bummed that we’re still doing school… but then, when the neighborhood kids start back up again during the first or second week of August, I’m always glad that we’re still having summer. Then, again, with the baby due in the middle of October, I’ve been thinking about starting school a bit early this year. Typically, I start the Tuesday after Labor Day, but I’d like to get a solid six weeks in, before the baby’s born.
- That’s all for now! I’ll have to work on another hiking post tomorrow or Monday. 🙂
Posted on May 30, 2008, in Celiac Disease, Cooking/Baking/Food/Recipes, Dairy-free, Family, gluten-free, Homeschooling, Motherhood, Pregnancy, The Kids. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.