Boy? Girl? Your eggs may have already decided!

So.  Well, I was looking into an issue about hormones, and I stumbled upon an absolutely fascinating article, published in The Times (of London) on March 24, 2008.  So, I’m a little behind, and y’all may have heard of this already;  it was news to me.

The short of it is, we women conceive just the sex of baby we’re supposed to have!!  Actually, about roughly 68% of women have normally fluctuating hormones, and have a 50-50 chance of conceiving either a boy or a girl.  But, off either end of the “normal” spectrum, approximately 16% of women have very high testosterone, and 16% of women have very low testosterone.  Those high in it will conceive only (or VERY predominantly) boys, and those low in it will statistically conceive an improbably high number of girls.

Even the eggs we women produce seem to have receptors on them which predetermine which sperm they will accept — with X or Y chromosome — determining whether or not the baby will be a boy or a girl!!!

The article mentioned a group of hockey-playing women.  The ratio of their offspring was a statistically improbable 34 boys to 2 girls, testosterone and competitive team sports going hand-in-hand.

The article goes into the discussion about mothers conceiving the sex of children that she’s meant to mother, based upon her hormone-makeup!!  I think that is absolutely fascinating.  Testosterone-heavy, aggressive, competitive women are most likely to mother boys.  Women with low testosterone are more “nurturing, empathic and tolerant” and are overwhelmingly more likely to bear only girls.  Women with a balance of hormones (and thus, personality traits) give birth to a more 50-50 mix of sons and daughters.

The author also mentions that testosterone levels can drop with age, so a family can start with all boys… then have a girl or two on the end!

Wow!

I don’t think I’ve ever had my hormone levels tested, but I have long suspected that my testosterone level would be on the high or high-normal end.  And… I started our family with three boys!!  I don’t know if this is a chicken-and-egg issue, but as I’ve matured, I’ve gained appreciation and value for many character/personality qualities which I previously tossed off as non-essential:  nurture, empathy and tolerance among them!!  And… I gave birth to two daughters!!

The article is non-studious, but it’s about a scholarly published study by Dr. Valerie Grant, who has studied these phenomena for decades.

Really fascinating.  Give it a look!

Advertisements

About Karen Joy

I'm a partially-homeschooling mother of six -- 3 boys ages 19, 17 and 15 years old, and three girls: 11, 8, and 3. I like birding, reading, writing, organic gardening, singing, playing guitar, hiking, the outdoors, and books. I very casually lead a very large group of homeschooling families in the Phoenix area. I have a dear hubby who designs homes for a local home builder and who is the worship pastor of our church. I live in the desert, which I used to hate, but now appreciate.

Posted on January 14, 2009, in Babies, Motherhood, Science. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.

  1. Maybe I started out nurturing and such, then became aggressive and have rediscovered (repurposed maybe?) my gifts and so I finally have a girl again! 🙂

  2. That IS fascinating!! I must have a good mix because I have one of each. 😉

  3. I hadn’t heard that. I was always told it was the guy’s fault… hmm… [smile]

    ~Luke

  4. That is very fascinating! I had never heard that either, but thinking of my sisters and their mix of boys/girls and mine… it makes perfect sense!! Huh! Who knew?? 🙂

  5. That is so interesting. I’m very competitive and I’ve always been grateful that I have almost all boys, a group of girls usually drives me nuts. A group of boys never seems to faze me. Our count now is 5 boys and 1 girl.

  6. I birthed only daughters… and have a hormonal imbalance (which I think may have prompted your discovery here! Thanks for chatting with me/sharing… it always helps!). Technically speaking, my testosterone is high because of PCOS… but I had daughters. Though I’ve never been aggressive or sporty (though I am the PTC President so maybe there is some aggression in there!).

    Who knows… but this is interesting. Makes me ponder if my testosterone levels are higher now than they were when I conceived my daughters and perhaps I’d have a boy if I do it again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: