Worst baby yeast infection ever (but her face is healing!!)
EDITED TO ADD: See very long comment by me on 04/21/10 for updated baby yeast infection regimen.
I took this on Sunday, as I stayed home to help Fiala recover from the worst case of yeast infection I’ve ever seen, which has made her red and swollen from the top of her bum all the way around to her belly button, with “satellite” patches that extend even further. As of yesterday, we are now using prescription Nystatin to help it further heal… but my regimen of taking care of her bum pretty much takes the entire day. HOWEVER, her face looks beautifully clear, does it not? It is now Tuesday late afternoon, and she hasn’t had Protopic or any medication since Saturday morning, and it still looks great. Previously, even on our dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free diet, I was still having to faithfully use Protopic 2x/day, or her face would break out in lesions.
I feel like saying, “Told you so!” to the first allergist we saw, who was extremely skeptical that Fiala could be healed simply by altering her diet (and mine, as she is nursing). The allergist she has now is not suggesting that we do anything OTHER than alter the diet (other than the steroid cream on her legs), and he wants to see us in a couple of weeks to gauge her progress.
Her legs are still bad, and the allergist prescribed — yet another — topical steroid, but I decided, instead, to be more generous with the triamcinolone on her legs, just until they are healed… then, I think/hope, given the evidence on her face, we should be able to stop it altogeterh.
OK. Yeast diaper rash care. On Saturday, I could tell that the normal regimen of bare-butt therapy just wasn’t cutting it, so I Googled, and decided to use pretty much anything and everything that sounded safe.
- Giving her a probiotic capsule (broken) and mixed with a small amount of water, daily.
- Rinsing her bum in water EVERY time she pees.
- Having her bare as much as possible, which is most of her waking time.
- Keeping her in an uncovered cloth diaper the remainder of the time.
- Changing her as soon as she pees. Yes, this makes for a good 15-20 diapers a day.
- Putting her (bare-butt) in sunlight for at least 15 minutes a day.
- Smoothing on liquid Mylanta with a cottonball, and letting it dry to a milky white. (I’m not entirely sure how this works, as urine is not acidic, but it really seems to help. Edited to amend: Urine IS acidic.)
- We’re now using Nystatin powder, but before that I had used miconazole (didn’t help) and Lotrimin AF (clotrimizole), which was actually helping.
- Using pure aloe vera gel during the time when its between applications of the antifungals, and letting it dry.
- SLATHERING on zinc oxide cream (I’m using Aveeno) when she goes down for a nap/nighttime.
The Nystatin is definitely helping, but I think we could have beat it using just the above over-the-counter regimen.