Spiced Yams (not too sweet!!) recipe
My 8yo son could live on these yams, if I let him. Yams, sweet potatoes, whatever. There’s debate about what’s what, and I’m not entirely sure who is right. All I know is I like the yams with the bright orange flesh and coppery exterior, known as Beauregard Yams.
My recipe is not as sweet as candied yams — they’re just right. Yams are a perfect dish for making ahead. They reheat perfectly, taste fabulous as leftovers, and can keep in a hot oven along with other foods that are baking or staying warm almost indefinitely.
makes 10 servings
3-4 lbs yams
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
3-4 Tbsp butter or Earth Balance (our favorite dairy-free spread)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse, peel, and cut yams into 1/2″ – 3/4″ cubes. (This step will take you the longest — yams are very dense!)
- Mix brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.
- Put cubed yams into a 2.5 quart covered bakeware/casserole dish (medium/large) and sprinkle brown sugar mixture on top.
- Dot with teaspoon-sized chunks of butter or Earth Balance.
- Cover and bake for 60 minutes. Stir gently, then bake for an additional 20 minutes.