Ten things I have enjoyed in the last few days
In no particular order:
- Fiala’s second birthday. Precious girl. We have no pictures because my camera is totally broken now, and the grandparents forgot theirs. We had a simple cookout party with family at the park on Saturday. Between Friday (her actual birthday), and Saturday, she received a grand total of three presents, each simple and inexpensive… but her face is such a delight when she receives a present. I think she really understands the heart of gift-giving, and she feels so special and thankful, no matter what the gift is, which makes it all the more delightful to give something to her.
- Receiving new earrings in the mail. Ordered from Mom Potter’s Etsy shop. 🙂
- The new Sherlock on PBS Masterpiece. It was so wonderful! I really enjoyed Benedict Cumberbatch (what a name!) on 2008’s The Last Enemy, aired on Masterpiece Contemporary last year, and he was even better as a 21st century Sherlock. My husband wasn’t so convinced he’d like it — he’s a big fan of Jeremy Brett’s Sherlock portrayal. But, about ten minutes into it, he said, “OK. I’m hooked!” Not giving too much away, but if you know the story of Sherlock Holmes, the one problem I had with the storyline/script is that it HIGHLY inferred that one character was so-and-so, but it turned out not to be the case, but another slightly lesser-known character. I felt a tad manipulated, and I hate that in movies/TV shows. Still. It was really good.
- The cooler weather in Phoenix. Mornings in the 60s. Days in the 80s or occasionally a bit lower. ~sigh~ I’ve been waiting for this!!
- Getting a couple of bird mysteries solved, via a birding listserv I just joined. Yes, that is a Eurasian Collared-Dove I saw; as an introduced species, they are heading westward. And, yes, Anna’s Hummingbirds can hybridize with Costa’s.
- Worship on Sunday. It was so rich, both musically, and with the presence of God. I couldn’t even sing, half the time. Good thing I wasn’t on stage! 😉
- The author of the book I ghost-wrote signed her contract. This was after long weeks of (slow) negotiations. She got some things altered for her benefit. Good for her!! Expected publication date is August 1, 2011.
- Our “new” entertainment center. Our TV barely fits, but it does fit! My hubby and oldest son spent a good portion of Saturday setting it up. 🙂
- The Jars of Clay Greatest Hits CD. I have a couple of their CDs. I’ve been a somewhat-fan over the years. And, this CD is two years old, so I’m behind… (as always, with music) But, what a great CD this is!! I spied it at the library, and I’ve been greatly enjoying it. All my kids like it, too. I’ve been belting out the songs at the top of my lungs as we’ve traveled to and fro these last couple of weeks, as I’m familiar with all but three tracks on the CD. It’s eminently singable. I’m not normally a huge fan of retrospective type albums, but for someone like me, who enjoys Jars of Clay, but who does not own the whole collection of their discs, it’s perfect.
- My oldest son, Ethan. He’s not a “thing”, but I have been so enjoying his growing-up. He is 13. In June, he stepped up to the youth group at our church, instead of the kids’ church… He was unsure about the transition, but he’s really enjoying it now, and I think it has lent to his already-thoughtful nature, learning things and considering subjects that need some deeper maturity. He’s a boy of few words, so it’s difficult to get a long conversation from him. But, in our exchanges, I have been delighted in the evidence of his careful thought and kind consideration of those with whom (or of whom) he speaks. He’s not perfect, of course, and there are a few things about him that make me wanna pull out my hair. But — similar to my husband, of whom I have the same confidence — Ethan is faithful to work on the areas of his life’s garden which need weeding. If you point out an error, he genuinely takes steps to improve, even if initially, he’s not all that receptive. He’s a son to make a mother proud, and I love him so.
Posted on October 26, 2010, in birding, Birthdays, Christianity, Family, Motherhood, Music, Random Stuff, Reviews, Shopping, The Dear Hubby, The Kids, TV, Vineyard Phoenix, Weather, Worship, Writing. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.